Nominations for the 2017 Outstanding Women of Color Awards are now welcome.
The UW-Madison Outstanding Women of Color Awards acknowledge and honor women of color among UW-Madison faculty, staff, students (undergraduate or post-baccalaureate) and in the Greater Madison community, who have made outstanding contributions in one or more of the following areas:
- social justice, activism and advocacy on behalf of disadvantaged, marginalized populations;
- community service;
- scholarly research, writing, speaking and/or teaching on race, ethnicity and indigeneity in U.S. society, and;
- community building on- or off-campus, to create an inclusive and respectful environment for all.
In 2007, UW-Madison launched an annual program of awards to women of color for outstanding service in higher education following in the footsteps of the UW System, which began their program of celebrating such women in 1994. The System has suspended their program, but UW-Madison has decided to continue honoring women of color doing extraordinary work on campus and in the larger Madison community.
To nominate an honoree, please prepare a nomination packet to include the following:
- A Letter of Nomination;
- Two additional letters of support from the Nominee’s colleagues (student, staff, faculty and/or community member);
- The Nominee’s updated curriculum vitae;
- A photo of the nominee if available.
Send the nomination packet in print or electronic format (preferred) by Friday, September 15, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or: OWOC Nominations, Office of the Vice Provost & Chief Diversity Officer, 175 Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Drive, Madison WI 53706
A selection committee comprising students, faculty and staff will review nominations for the awards.
UW-Madison’s Outstanding Women of Color for 2017 will be announced at the annual Diversity Forum on November 7, 2017. A campus-wide reception in their honor will be held in the spring semester on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018, hosted by the Office of the Vice Provost & Chief Diversity Officer.
Over the past decade, dozens of women who dedicate the time, talent, academic and personal endeavors to serving and improving the campus and Greater Madison Community have been honored at an annual reception. For a full list of past honorees, please go to: Outstanding Women of Color Honorees.